Ensure Disability Access Compliance is achieved.
Engaging an accredited and qualified access consultant assists greatly with the building permit/s process. Most building surveyors and regulatory authorities want to see the disability access report for proposed building works. ASN provides Desktop Access Audit reports which can be submitted as part of the documentations. We provide support and clarifications so amendments can be made prior to submitting the documents for approval.
Delays are annoying at best, so to ensure your proposed building works are not delayed on the basis of disability access contact us regarding a desktop access audit or submit plans below and we’ll get a detailed report to you promptly.
Desktop disability access audits are undertaken via Bluebeam software which is the industry standard for the measurement and taking off of plans. ASN audit the proposed building works against the mandatory requirements. ASN’s desktop audits produce a detailed report identifying the non-conformances and advice of the rectification works required to ensure the building and the built environment meets the requirements for disability access – ensuring discrimination doesn’t occur.
What we NeedThe information needed before we can do the audit
Organisation Name & Contact Details
Contact Person Name & Contact Details
Property / Allotment Address
Building Details e.g. Size & Type
Plans of the Building
Timeframe For the Audit to be Undertaken
Audit Submitted via the Form Below
What We DoHow the onsite audit is undertaken
Tailor Detailed Audit Report
Schedule the Desktop audit
Undertake the Desktop Audit
Generate the Detailed Audit Report
Email the Detail Audit Report to the Client
Remain Available for Clarifications
What You GetThe report and support that's included
Non-conformance Issues Identified
Images of Non-Conformances
Advice & Recommendations
Email Support (5 Emails per Project)
Phone Support (1hr total per Project)
Meeting Attendance (Online Only – 1hr total)
Access Audit Submission Form
Non-Conformance Table Within Our Detailed Report
Use the form to the right to download a sample detailed disability access report.
Compliance is NOT an option - Audit the Disability Access TODAY.
ASN’s disability access audits are extremely comprehensive and include multiple elements. Likely elements to be audited are, but not limited to:
Mandatory Items (MR):
- Car Parking: including ratios, required numbers of bays, signage, delineation, gradient and kerb ramp provisions. Also, the locations of bays will also be audited.
- Pathways: all pathway systems from the allotment boundary and to and within the premises will be audited. Further to this, the principal entrance points will also be assessed.
- Ramps: there are numerous requirements for ramps to achieve compliance. Therefore, each ramp will be audited accordingly against specific requirements determined by the type of ramp it is.
- Tactile Ground Surface Indicators (TGSI’s): both directional and hazard TGSI’s are audited against the requirements of Australian Standard AS1428.4.1 – 2009 and according to the types integrated, discrete and composite discrete.
- Signage: identifying accessible features as well as navigational/informational signage is required to meet the BCA deemed to satisfy provisions.
- Luminance Contrast: probably one of the most complex areas within disability access. ASN is considered by peers as an expert in luminance contrast.
- Walkways: like ramps, walkways to have numerous requirements to achieve compliance. Each walkway will be audited accordingly
- Stairs: Stairs must be assessed to ensure there are compliant treads, risers, and nosings. Other stair requirements such as handrails and TGSI’s will also be audited.
- Doorways: doorways will be audited as there are width, force, swing, and luminance contrast requirements. These will all be audited for all doorways to and within.
- Circulation Spaces: there are many situations within the built environment where it is required for correct circulation spaces to be provided, such as at doorways. All requirements for circulation spaces are included in our auditing.
- Handrails: the design and installation of handrails must be in accordance with the Australian Standards, mostly AS1428.1 – 2009. Every handrail required to comply will be audited.
- Grabrails: the design and installation of grabrails must be in accordance with the Australian Standards, mostly AS1428.1 – 2009. Every grabrail required to comply will be audited.
- Gradients: all graded surfaces will be audited. Gradients such as, 1:8, 1:10, 1:14, 1:20, 1:33 & 1:40.
- Lifts: there are different types of lifts and hence different requirements for minimum compliance. Lifts will be audited according to type.
- Sanitary Facilities: have the most specific and extensive set of requirements. There are specific requirements for unisex accessible sanitary compartment, showers, ambulant sanitary facilities, and change rooms. ASN’s auditing includes such building areas.
Advisory Items (AR)*:
- Lighting Levels: minimum LUX levels are required within different setting types. LUX levels will be recorded and audited accordingly against the specific setting.
- Fittings & Fixtures: counters, customer service, seating, controls, classrooms, vending machines, information stand and the like are audited and assessed to ensure ease of use for a wide range of people.
- Emergency Egress: it is essential that as the accessibility into a building is audited that the same be for the emergency egress from a building. This is particularly important since the release of the Australian Standard AS3745.
- Wayfinding: although wayfinding is silent in the Australian Standards our auditing is inclusive of assessing the interaction of required elements such as TGSI’s & signage, to ensure these provide good wayfinding information and meaning. As a result, increasing the accessibility.
- Services: delivery of services must be in an accessible form. Although service delivery cannot be directly audited against a set Australian Standard, ASN assesses service delivery against industry be practices.
*Advisory items will be assessed/audited at the descretion of the auditor.
Get In touch
Send us a message
We provide both onsite & desktop disability access audits. Access audits provide a comprehensive report and we work along side governments, design teams, owners, companies etc.
A performance solution report is where a deemed to satisfy provision is not met and an alternative building solution is proposed. The performance solution report is to articulate how the building solution is equal to or greater than that of the minimum requirement.
More and more requests are being made of product suppliers to provide a disability access compliance certification. ASN specialises in these certifications for suitability and usability of mainstream products for people with disability.
A luminance contrast test is a calculation between two (2) surfaces Light Reflectance Values (LRV’s). This determines the percentage of difference and is used to confirm compliance or deem not compliant.